Pages

Thursday, August 12, 2010

A little about me...

Hi there! You've stumbled upon Sugar Coated Mommy! So who am I...and why am I starting a blog? First of all...what I am not...I am not a writer. If you you've come here to read flowing, eloquent thoughts or witty, humorous takes on life...you are in the wrong place! Expect run-on sentences with some grammatical incorrectness, and failing attempts at wit.

I am, above all, a mommy to two: Avery is my precious daughter, eyes of blue, golden hair and a bit of curly locks. She is just over 4 and today marks her first day of preschool. There was no whining, no clinging, and no crying! Oh, and Avery did good too! Avery has a little brother, Logan, who is just over a year and a half. Thankfully, he follows suit with the blue eyes and golden hair but not the curly locks. He is every way different from how Avery was, even from the very start during pregnancy. He is my active one, my get-into-everything-kid...my test-mommy's-sanity-kid...and I wouldn't change a thing. I am blessed that they love each other so much and get along well...for the time being!

I am also...

A wife to Ryan. We've been married for six years now. He is a hard worker, a great father, and cooks great BBQ!

I am also...

A pediatric Occupational Therapist. I am fortunate to be able to work 5 hours a day at a good, stable job that is flexible for a family life. I consider work my social time as I really enjoy the people I work with.



Then there's me, the baker...

I started doing "creative" baking in my 20's. It started mostly with sugar cookies and doing cookie bouquets before they became popular...about 15-18 years ago. Now that makes me feel old! Soon after I got married in 2004, a Michael's opened up in our town, and I signed up for the cake decorating classes. Finished all three, and the current instructor encouraged me to become an instructor as well. At the time I was doing more cakes for friends and family, and really enjoying my new-found obsession, so I did. I really enjoyed teaching, but at the same time felt limited as we were only supposed to teach the "Wilton Method" of cake decorating. I had so much more that I wanted to share! I was learning so much from Cake Central, and really applying them to the cakes I was making for others.

I continued teaching until I was nearing the end of my pregnancy with Avery, which was also in the midst of our house building project being completed. Now in the past 4-ish years, I've continued to make cakes but on a slower, more spaced out basis. I haven't lost my obsession for baking or decorating anything, but somehow the time to spend on it became less as the demands of motherhood/worker/homemaker became more.


At this point...I'm at a crossroads of needing to do something more for me, for my time. I just don't get many requests from friends to do cakes like I once did...and it's hard to do cakes just for the fun of it, and reap the caloric consequences of having them around the house. I have been trying to figure out a way to practice more techniques, get more experience, and just spend time enjoying doing what I want to do. So my thoughts ran to....cookies. Cookies are easy to freeze, to pull out anytime the need strikes. Cookies can be packaged and mailed easily...unlike cakes. Cookies can be gifted easily for any occasion...babies, birthdays, teacher gifts, congratulations, etc...unlike cakes. I mean, how would it look showing up at your child's school, handing the teacher a two-tier cake and saying, "Hey! Thanks for being my child's teacher!" Cookies fit the bill for stuff like that perfectly, so cookies it is for the channeling of my creative juices on a regular basis.

I'm also having a need to do some experimental baking. Trying out new recipes, tweaking old ones...but again I don't necessarily want to have the aftermath left in my kitchen and on my thighs. So my plan is to just do it, take on a baking project once every 1-2 weeks and bring in the offending calories to work the next day. I work at a school, so, yeah...sweets and treats get devoured if left in the staff lounge!


The blog is simply to write about it. Record my thoughts, my experiments...the triumphs and defeats. Hopefully with photographs that get better and more improved as time goes on.

So that is me...in a nutshell. I may not have an exciting life, but it's a sweet one!

No comments:

Post a Comment