Pages

Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Pigs, Chocolate, and Teachers

Not necessarily all together...just a few projects I've worked on in this past week...

A friend of mine who I hadn't heard from in awhile came to have some interesting Facebook status posts lately. Something along the lines of "starting a new life", "exciting adventures", etc. It puzzled me, because she has 2 lovely young boys, and life was stable as far as I knew. Well, little did I know!

A few emailings back and forth revealed the twist her life had taken. Or should I say...the tryst her life had taken. Sadly, she is divorcing her husband and starting a new life with her beautiful boys. While she is in a good place right now and at peace with her decision, what better way to say "I'm thinking of you and the chaos your life has been in since you caught your husband cheating on you" than some pig cookies?


Got this idea when I browsed something similar over at Cookie Crumbs








She should be receiving them today!


On to the chocolate...

I wanted to dabble in some chocolate cut-out cookies, you know, to expand the cut-out options...and when is chocolate never a good idea?

I found a few recipes. The first one I nabbed from AllRecipes, read the various comments and decided to just go with the recipe as-is. I did some basic shapes using a crinkled square cutter and a flower. Followed the recipe, cut them out and made sure they were very chilled before going into the oven. They spread (sorry no pictures). They spread enough so that you could still make out the shape, but too much so that my nice thick 3/8" cookie was at least half it's size. Oh don't get me wrong...the taste was so chocolately good...like a brownie-cookie. Nice and soft, but too soft to hold up to decorating and packaging. I think the softness would be fine if it was thicker.

So, next on my chocolate cut-out journey is trying the same recipe, but with some modifications to hopefully produce a cookie with more staying power and less spread...and I love less spread. In my cookies and on my hips. I promise to take pics this next round.

Lastly, more teacher cookies, as requested from a friend that saw my previous teacher cookies that I made for Avery's preschool...


This one was for a 2nd grade class, so I changed up some of the cookies for academic-appropriateness...

All bagged up and ready to go!

1 comment:

  1. I'm so glad you've taken the leap into the blogging world. You're cookies are adorable! LOVE the name of your blog! I would have loved getting these little piggies when I was going through my divorce. They would have been very appropriate! It's such a tough time. My friends that listened and kept me laughing are what got me through it! Can't wait to see more of your sweet stuff!

    ReplyDelete